Forums » ARK: Survival Evolved

Breeding tips and tricks. Post yours here

• 4 posts
    September 19, 2018 3:07 PM EDT
    What are you guys tips and tricks for breeding? How about some general info? Things like do after tame lvls matter. How do I know if my stats are any good? Is there a benchmark or something are there any programs or guides you recommend
    • 3 posts
    September 30, 2018 3:45 AM EDT

Definitely recommend ARK Smart Breeding for breeders. 

You can create a library of all your tames and see which have the better stats.  As a nice bonus, if you don't have a creature's post-tame stats before you added levels, the application is pretty good at extracting the stats so you know what the babies might inherit.  For each creature you can select "Best Breeding Partners" to match up creatures and see the best and worst potential offspring of each pairing.

There's also a Pedigree function, which is a bit limited, but is useful for seeing all offspring of a certain creature.  Several timers that can be customized for each stage of breeding and a taming calculator are available to plan things out. 

It did take a bit of playing around with ASB to get a good grip on how to input new tames and their stats, as well as how to use it to cull the breeder pool as better animals matured.  In the end, though, I've found it extremely useful in helping develop my breeding attempts (my Blue Flock of Doom is coming along nicely).  Check it out, and stop by the developer's Discord (as linked on the page above).

Aside from this application, my general strategy is to tame and breed until I get a breeding pair with the best identical stats available at the time while making sure there are no mutations for either.  Once I have that first pair, I start breeding for mutations.  I usually start raising additional female offspring of the pair and breeding them with the one male; this makes it a little easier to track which creatures should be breeding with each other, though if I'm concerned about increasing the mating wait time on the females (which increases with each female bred to a single male) I may breed extra male offspring to minimize the time between matings.

When I finally get a mutation, I focus on only getting further mutations to that stat, i.e. only Health or Melee.  Mixing mutations before reaching 20 means the single stat won't be maximized in the line.

For the most part I don't focus too much on the color mutations as I focus on the stats, and breeding an unneeded mutant into the line increases the mutation counter without necessarily helping the stats or levels.  Of course I always cross my fingers that a nice color will appear on my good stat mutants :)

• 52 posts
    November 15, 2018 3:37 AM EST
    I dont do all the complicated breeding stuff.
    I just whack an egg down, stay with it and feed it until 10% maturation, and then just set alarms to remind me to login to imprint on it.

I get excited when there are mutations but i dont go out of my way to try and get them.

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)